I don’t know about you but I love pasta. Since going vegan I haven’t really found an easy pasta recipe that I enjoy all that much, at least until my mom and I came up with this one. We have been loving this recipe lately, mainly because it’s the perfect meal prep and can even be frozen for later convenience. This dish is oil free, vegan (obviously), nut free, and can be made gluten free!
- 1 can (960 mL) pasta sauce
- 1 container (12 oz./ 340g) extra firm tofu
- 1 box (12 oz./ 340g) jumbo shells pasta
- 1/2 cup (80g) nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup (80g) baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (80g) white onion
- 1/4 cup (40g) green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup (40g) yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup (40g) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (25g) minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- basil and parsley
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add your pasta. Cook it until al dente then drain it and set it to the side.
- While your pasta cooks, you’ll want to prepare your sauce. Dice your white onion, mushrooms, and peppers then add them to a large saucepan along with 3 tbsp minced garlic, a tbsp of water, salt, and pepper. Stir frequently until the vegetables have softened.
- Add your can of pasta sauce to the saucepan, bringing the heat down to low.
- While the sauce simmers, take your block of tofu and add it to a medium-sized bowl, using a fork to mash the tofu until it forms a crumbly, ricotta-like texture. Then you’ll want to add 1/2 cup of lemon juice and a tbsp each of basil and parsely, stirring until combined.
- Then take a large baking dish and start assembling your pasta. You’ll just want to place about a tablespoon of the tofu ricotta into the jumbo shells then place them in the dish.
- Once the baking dish is completely full, you’ll just want to spoon your pasta sauce over the top, making sure it’s completely covered. Once done, just sprinkle nutritional yeast and a little bit of basil over the top.
- Just bake for 30 minutes then you’re ready to dish it out!
In order to make recipe gluten free, just sub for gluten free pasta! When freezing dish, make sure the baking dish is metal rather than ceramic to avoid cracking or breaking.
Thank you for reading!